Famous for their lengthy tails, the ring-tailed lemur is a primate found exclusively on the island of Madagascar. Like other lemur species, the ring-tailed lemur is female dominant, meaning that their social groups are controlled by a hierarchy of females.
- History: Although it is one of the most common lemur species found in zoos, the ring-tailed lemur’s population in the wild is severely threatened from habitat destruction. Despite being a protected species, the ring-tailed lemur’s relatively small range of suitable environments makes it uniquely susceptible to fragmentation and habitat loss. Thankfully, ring-tailed lemurs reproduce readily, and experts believe that if wild numbers were to fall to critical levels, these beautiful animals could be reintroduced into the wild from captivity.
- Scientific Name: Lemur catta
- Characteristics: Despite its size, the ring-tailed lemur’s tail is not prehensile, meaning it can’t hold or grasp objects, and is instead used primarily for balance and communication. Learn tons of other amazing facts with our professionally painted and scientifically accurate ring-tailed lemur toy figurine!
- Size: Standing 4 inches tall and 3 inches long, this ring-tailed lemur toy figurine is about an inch shorter and wider than a soda can.
- The Ring-tailed Lemur is part of the Wild Safari® Wildlife collection.
- All of our products are Non-toxic and BPA free.