Daspletosaurus was a close relative of T. rex. It lived about ten million years earlier, and was about fifteen feet smaller, growing to around 30 feet long. It also had proportionally longer arms than T. rex and other tyrannosaurs, and its eyes were not as forward-facing as its larger, more famous cousin. Despite being smaller and not quite as advanced, it was still a formidable predator of the Late Cretaceous Period.
- History: Daspletosaurus was first discovered in 1921, but was not formally described until 1970, when geologist and paleontologist Dale Russell named it as a new dinosaur: Daspletosaurus torosus (“torosus” meaning “muscular”). In 1992, another Daspletosaurus was discovered by paleontologist Jack Horner, who believed it to be a new species that would be named Daspletosaurus horneri (“Of Horner”) in 2017. Daspletosaurus was a very close relative of Tyrannosaurus rex, and may even have been its direct ancestor.
- Scientific Name: Daspletosaurus (“Frightful Lizard”)
- Characteristics: This Daspletosaurus toy is posed in a walking stance, with its tooth-filled mouth wide open. It is scientifically accurate and highly detailed, showing its similarities to its cousin Tyrannosaurus Rex, but also its differences.
- Size: The Daspletosaurus toy figure is just under 9 inches long and about 4 ½ inches tall.
- The Daspletosaurus is part of our Wild Safari Prehistoric World collection.
- All of our products are Non-toxic and BPA free