Arguably the most iconic species of elephant, African elephants are native to sub-Saharan Africa. The biggest difference between Asian and African elephants is that the African species are generally larger, always have tusks, and have much broader ears.
- History: Unfortunately, both species of African elephant (the African bush elephant and the African forest elephant) are classified as vulnerable by the IUCN. More specifically, they are suffering from a fragmentation and loss of their natural habitat and are one of the most commonly poached animals worldwide. It’s believed that the African elephant population has dropped by more than 100,000 individuals in the last decade, which would be one of the sharpest wildlife population declines in recent memory.
- Scientific Name: Genus Loxodonta
- Characteristics: Did you know that the ears of the African elephant are actually the same shape as the African continent? Don’t believe us? Just take a look at this lifelike, scientifically accurate African Elephant toy model!
- Size: Standing 6.5 inches long and 4 inches tall, this African Elephant toy model is a bit shorter than a 16 oz. water bottle resting on its side and about as tall as a soda can – and is certainly smaller than an actual African elephant! Like its real-life counterpart, this figurine has a slate gray hide and pearlescent white tusks.
- The African elephant is part of the Wild Safari® Wildlife collection.
- All of our products are Non-toxic and BPA free.